The annual meeting of the Keck Observatory user community
will be held at Caltech this year. We hope to have resounding
participation from the Caltech, UC, UH, NASA, TSIP, and WMKO members
of our scientific partnership. Recent and interesting results from
the Keck I and Keck II telescopes on Mauna Kea will be showcased. The
meeting is also a forum for obtaining status reports on current and
planned instrumentation, and for discussing initiatives and
opportunities that are still far afield. An observatory strategic
planning discussion will occur on the day after the science meeting.
Mike Brown -- Caltech
Ian McLean -- UCLA
Mike Liu -- Hawaii
Online registration is now closed.
Science Meeting: All day on 17 September
The science meeting will be a full day meeting consisting of short talks
and posters. Talks will be selected from the proposed titles/abstracts
submitted by Aug 31.
Anyone may present a poster.
Schedule of Talks
- There will be a single serial oral session.
- Talks will be 15 or 20 minutes. Please allow 3 minutes for questions.
- A computer projector will be available. Other AV needs
should be arranged.
- For efficient operations we will collect all talks in advance
onto a Windows or a Mac box (one of each OS).
- Poster boards accommodating 38" x 48" (W x H) posters will be available;
backing material is cork-board-type and we can provide tacks.
- Posters will be up all day with viewing opportunities during breaks.
- Handouts are often a useful way of preserving memory of your poster.
- Poster presenters may volunteer to give a "one slide, one minute,
no-questions" (strictly enforced) summary of their poster paper
during the oral session.
- Food and drink
- Lunch and refreshments will be provided.
- Breaks in the oral session will be for refreshment consumption,
informal discussions, and poster viewing.
- Post-meeting reception will include choice beverages and snacks.
- Getting Here:
Directions to Caltech
Campus Map (The Cahill building is at 1216 California Blvd, south of California in
the spot that says "Future Site of the Cahill Center." The underground parking is
immediately south of Cahill under the baseball field and is accessed
right next to the Brown Gym.)
- Parking Info:
- Please park at the parking structure off of California Ave near the Cahill Building.
- You need to buy and show a day ($5) or week ($15) pay-and-display
ticket. There is a ticket machine near the top of the ramp down to
the California structure, and one at the SE corner of the first
underground parking level. All spaces marked `commuter' or `student'
are fine to use: these are mostly found on the second and third
underground levels. Make sure you don't park in a space marked with a
name in addition to a number on the kerb, or one with an orange
marker labeled `carpool'. Parking enforcement issues Pasadena City
parking citations in the Caltech lots.
- Lodging Info:
Pasadena has many hotels ranging from quite nice to quite unnice.
More information will be forthcoming.
- After the meeting:
Last Revised: June 4, 2009